Silicone Rubber Extrusion
Advanced Seals & Gaskets Ltd have the expertise and facilities to supply a vast and range of silicone rubber extrusions in many forms, from simple cylindrical cords to complex contoured parts. Solid silicone extrusions are designed to fit a specific gap or space in order to provide protection, prevent the leakage or ingress of air, fluids or gas and be aesthetically pleasing as edge trims or buffers.
All our extrusions are made to order and produced using samples or drawings provided by customers, from which a tool or ‘die’ is made and the extruded rubber profiles are produced. Customers also have the option to request a small sample run for trialling, which allows for any adjustments to be made and ensures the final product fits perfectly.
What are Silicone Rubber Extrusions?
Silicone (SI) rubber is an excellent material for producing extruded sealing profiles, which can operate at high and low temperatures. Silicone rubber performs well when exposed to UV, weathering, ozone and moisture, and is available in a range of grades, hardnesses and colours, each with its own set of characteristics, properties and resistances to suit different exposures and environments.
Silicone extrusions are produced by turning raw silicone rubber material (compound) into a specific shape using an extruder machine that works using high pressure and a die (a shaped tool). This machine pushes raw material through the die creating the finished extruded rubber profile, in continuous lengths, with a consistent cross-sectional shape as per the customer's design running throughout.
Extrusions can be made as a ‘solid’ shape such as a cord, or ‘hollow’ where a hole, usually in the centre, runs through the entire length of the extrusion just leaving the outer wall. Some of the most commonly used extrusions are D-sections, P-sections, door seals, window seals, U-channels and cords, many of which can be supplied with a self-adhesive finish.
For information on Silicone Rubber Extrusion please complete the following quick enquiry or call us on +44(0)1384 252555.
Product Specification & Key Characteristics
- Colour: black, translucent, white, red, blue
- Shore Hardness: available in 20 - 80 shore
- Temperature:-40℃ to +200°C (230°C intermittents)
- Resistances: UV, oxidation, ozone, weathering, corona discharge, radiation
- Applications: used in a multitude of industries including automotive, catering (food & drink), electronics, pharmaceutical, insulation
Full technical data can be supplied upon request,
or downloaded from our online portal.
Help and guidance
If you would like to speak to a representative to discuss your specific application or requirements please call our sales office direct on 01384 469100, alternatively you can send an E-mail. Simply click on the link and forward us your details along with your question and we will contact you immediately.
Samples - Technical Silicone Rubber Extrusion
Samples can be submitted for testing upon request.
Call now for sample requests or further help.
Why use Silicone Rubber Extrusions?
Silicone rubber extrusions are perfect for applications where off the shelf seals and gaskets will not fit and a bespoke profile or shape is required and are also the quickest and simplest way to create lengths of the identical product even when manufactured in bulk.
Customers often choose silicone rubber extrusions as the material has a number of excellent characteristics and features, silicone rubber has a broad working temperature range of (-40℃ to +200°C) for use in hot and cold environments, with high-temperature versions also available for extreme heat. Silicone rubber materials are resistant to ozone, weathering, seawater, many chemicals and fungal growth, they also offer excellent tensile strength, tear-resistance and electrical insulating properties.
Solid silicone rubber is available in a range of grades, thicknesses and colour choices, which can be extruded and used within many applications for sealing against air, gas and liquid, cushioning against vibrations & rattles and as surface protection.
Advantages of Using Silicone Extrusion
Silicone rubber can be extruded into bespoke profiles made to fit a specifically shaped space or gap, in any quantity and with a choice of finishes. Silicone rubber extrusions offer a number of benefits that vary depending on the grade of silicone used but include flame retardancy, a wide operating temperature range - even higher range when using the High-Temperature grade, resistance to weathering, UV, ozone and chemicals, can be used as electrical insulation and in Food, Beverage and pharmaceutical industries (FDA grades).
Silicone rubber extrusions are available in choice grades and in a range of colours and shore hardnesses (the shore hardness is measured using a shore durometer which indicates the level of resistance to indentation, the higher number on the scale indicate a greater resistance - harder the material/lower number indicate less resistance- softer the material) and in some grades, a range of colours.
Benefits of Using Silicone Extrusions
- Resistant to weathering, UV, ozone and chemicals
- Can be used in food and pharmaceutical applications
- Available in a choice of colours, hardnesses and grades
- Can be easily extruded into bespoke profiles
- Available in a range of thicknesses and sizes
- Flame retardancy and electrical insulating properties
Advanced Seals & Gaskets Ltd have a network of material manufacturers and suppliers, giving our customers more choice when looking for suitable silicone extrusions, our most popular grades being:
- High-Temperature Silicone - FDA approved and suitable for working conditions up to 300°C
- FDA Approved Silicone - all general-purpose silicone are certified for use within food, drink & pharmaceutical applications
- Metal Detectable Silicone - used to detect metal fragments
- Fluorosilicone - this material offers the same mechanical properties as standard silicone, but with an improved fuel and mineral oil resistance.
- Platinum cured Silicone - this non-yellowing translucent material offers a high tear strength and does not produce any peroxides or ketones.
- Conductive Silicone is a carbon filled silicone that conducts a low electrical amperage
- Flame retardant offers a more superior flame retardance, meeting the following standard for railways BS6853 Cat1A and French Norm NFF 16-101 (now superseded by TS EN 45545-2)
Please contact us using the form below or by calling us on +44(0)1384 252555.