Presspahn Electrical Insulation
Alongside the numerous types of sponge, rubber and foam materials available from ASG, there are also a number of products and materials designed for electrical insulation applications. One of these materials is Presspahn, also know in the industry as pressboard, press paper and elephantide.
As with other electrical insulation materials, Presspahn doesn’t allow the free flow of electrical current, protecting electrical conductors from coming into contact with people or tools during installation, repairs or when an electrical appliance or device is being used.
Presspahn electrical insulation materials are manufactured in a paper form on a roll available in thicknesses from 0.13mm to 1mm thick and also in rigid board from 0.5mm to 25mm. These materials can be taken as a full roll or sheet, or alternatively converted using one of our many on-site saws, presses or our oscillating knife, we are able to convert them into bespoke sized electrical insulation strips, washers, pads or gaskets which can be supplied plain or coated in a choice of self adhesives or foils.
For information on Presspahn Electrical Insulation please complete the following quick enquiry or call us on +44(0)1384 252555.
Characteristics of Presspahn Electrical Insulation:
- Colour: Natural/brown
- Thickness- Presspahn Paper: 0.13mm - 0.5mm
- Presspahn Board: 1mm - 25mm
- Density: 1-1.3g/cm
- Voltage Strength (in oil): 35-40Kv/mm (depending on thickness)
- Temperature: 105℃
Full technical data can be supplied upon request, or downloaded from our online portal.
Help and guidance
If you would like to speak to a representative to discuss your specific application or requirements please call our sales office direct on 01384 469100, alternatively you can send an E-mail. Simply click on the link and forward us your details along with your question and we will contact you immediately.
Samples - Technical Presspahn Electrical Insulation
Samples can be submitted for testing upon request.
Call now for sample requests or further help.
What is Presspahn Electrical Insulation?
An electrical insulation material like Presspahn is one formulated to create barriers, restricting the free-flow of electrical current. Presspahn electrical insulation components usually take the form of strips, washers, gaskets or pads all of which can be manufactured here using our state of the art conversion facilities.
Presspahn materials is produced using electrical grade kraft wood pulp, designed as a surface insulation material on cellulose for insulation class A and can withstand high heat exposure for short periods of time. Presspahn materials are available in paper and board form, in a choice of different thicknesses.
Why use Presspahn Electrical Insulation?
Like other Electrical Insulation materials, Presspahn papers and boards are manufactured for use as electrical barriers, restricting the free flow of current, protecting electrical conductors from coming into contact with tools and people during usage, repairs and installation.
Pressboard is just one of many Electrically Insulation materials supplied by ASG, often taken for its high chemical purity, mechanical strength and optimum oil impregnability. These properties make pressboard perfect for us within oil-filled power transformers and distribution transformers as well as an insulation material for electric machines and capacitors.
Other Types of Electrical Insulation materials available
Advanced Seals & Gaskets work with a multitude of material manufacturers, giving our customers more choice and ensuring we can offer a solution to just about any application, our most popular alternatives to Presspahn include:
- Epoxy Glass - a green coloured material with good mechanical strength, good chemical, electrical and radiation resistance, low moisture absorption and a working temperature range of upto +120℃.
- Kapton - is a polyamide film which offers a combination of mechanical and tear strength along with chemical, electrical and thermal properties that enables the gasket to withstand vibration and extreme temperatures in demanding environments.
- Leatheroid - is a grey/blue coloured paper gasket material, also sometimes called Elephantide. This material is used within the electrical industry to insulate hot elements.
- MYLAR is an extremely strong, flexible polyester film. MYLAR is an excellent insulation material with dielectric strength, moisture resistance and is an excellent insulation material.
- Nomex can be manufactured using nomex paper or nomex board, it can withstand high temperatures, has high mechanical and dielectric strength, and is an excellent insulation material for all kinds of electrical equipment and applications.
- Mica is made by bonding layers of mica paper together with a resin, which are cured into a choice of rigid or flexible boards, which can be used to restrict the flow of electric current, by supporting electrical conductors - without allowing the current to pass through.
- SRBF is resin bonded fibre material which is tough and rigid, with an operating temperature of 120℃, low water absorption and is resistant to wear, impact chemicals.
- SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) is manufactured using layers of paper and synthetic resins. This material is suited to high and medium voltage application. SRBP has good mechanical and excellent electrical insulation properties, with low water absorption.
- Valox is an excellent electrical insulation material which also offers flame retardant properties.
- PTFE is a non- conductive plastic material used to produce electrical insulation sheets. PTFE sheets are suitable for high temperature applications and have a high melting temperature. This material has excellent dielectric properties and can be often found used in circuit boards.
- PVC is a tough, lightweight abrasion, chemical and moisture resistant material which has good dielectric strength making it a great material to use for electrical insulation applications.
Benefits of using Presspahn Electrical Insulation
- Can withstand high heat for short periods of time high
- Utilised in 105ºC rated (Class A) electrical applications
- Excellent mechanical strength and absorption characteristics
- Can be punched, folded and cut
- Good machinability
- Available in rigid board or flexible paper
Advantages of Using Presspahn Electrical Insulation
Presspahn materials are highly utilised within transformer and other power transmission equipment offering an excellent insulating structure. The material offers properties including resistance to ageing, insulation performance and mechanical properties and is available in a choice of rigid board and paper components.
Presspahn can be taken in full rolls or sheets of material for conversion at a later date, or alternatively sawn, routered and pressed into a range of products here onsite at Advanced Seals & Gaskets Ltd and supplied in products such as pads, gaskets, washers and strips.
During the formulation of the raw material, the compound is treated through several non-chemical processes, ensuring maximum purity free from fillers and impurities allowing for the material to be used in even the more stringent applications.
Presspahn Electrical Insulations offer excellent mechanical strength and oil penetration therefore suitable for both dry and oil based transformers and other equipment and can be used across a range of currents and voltages. Some of the applications in which Presspahn papers can be found include insulation within cables carrying electrical current or signals such as telephone cables, power cables, capacitors and even submarine power cables, whereas the the presspahn boards are more often found as transformer boards in oil-filled transformers as an insulating structure.
Please contact us using the form below or by calling us on +44(0)1384 252555.