PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers
Advanced Seals & Gaskets Ltd convert and supply a range of electrical insulation components, including washers made using a range of plastics.
One type of plastic we use to manufacture our electrical insulation washers is PTFE plastic or ‘Polytetrafluoroethylene’, sometimes also referred to as Teflon. PTFE plastic is a very versatile material which is manufactured in tubes of various lengths and diameters, and sheets of between 0.25 and 100mm in sheet sizes of up to 1500mm x 1500mm (depending on thickness) from which washers can be cut.
Producing PTFE Electrical Insulation washers in-house ensures that high standards are maintained, in turn producing competitively priced, high quality washers consistently. PTFE Electrical Insulation washers are produced using samples, drawings or dimensions provided by our customers, ensuring the final product is produced to their exact specification.
Depending on the size and quantity of the washers required, our production team will select from our range of atoms, autos, travelling head, kiss cut pressing machines or for very large or thick washers, we can programm our CNC (oscillating knife) to produce the washers in the most efficient way to keep lead times down, supplied plain or coated with a choice of self-adhesives or foils.
For information on PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers please complete the following quick enquiry or call us on +44(0)1384 252555.
Characteristics Of PTFE Plastics
- Colour: Natural/ white
- Temperature range: -200+260°C (short-term up to 300°C)
- Sheet Thickness: 0.25mm - 100mm (and in roll or tube form)
- Resistances: chemicals, weathering, wear, electrically insulating, gamma radiation, UV
- Flammability: class UL94 V-0 flammability rating (will self-extinguish after removal of flame)
- FDA: complies with food standard regulations 21 CFR 177.1550 and FDA 21 CFR 175.300
Help and guidance
If you would like to speak to a representative to discuss your specific application or requirements please call our sales office direct on 01384 469100, alternatively you can send an E-mail. Simply click on the link and forward us your details along with your question and we will contact you immediately.
Samples - Technical PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers
Samples can be submitted for testing upon request.
Call now for sample requests or further help.
What Are PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers?
Components such as washers which are made for use as Electrical Insulators are materials which do not allow electricity to pass through them, these materials include a number of plastics including PTFE or Polytetrafluoroethylene.
PTFE plastic material is a fluorocarbon - which means it’s composed of only carbon and fluorine, natural in colour. A PTFE electrical insulation washer is a flat ring of PTFE material which is cut and placed between two surfaces or between joints in order to reduce friction and prevent unsteadiness, to create a level surface for nuts, bolts and other fixings to rest on, improving the fit for fixings, can be used as a water or airtight seal and to create a barrier restricting the flow of electricity.
PTFE plastic washers are produced using either samples, drawings or dimensions provided by customers, which would detail the Outer Diameter (OD), Internal Diameter (ID) and the Thickness, manufactured in a plain or self-adhesive finish.
Why Use PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers?
Our range of electrical insulation washers each offer different features depending on the material type used. PTFE plastic is formulated to offer many excellent properties and unique characteristics, which include high thermal stability, chemical resistance and an extremely wide operating temperature range of -240 to +260°C.
PTFE plastics are often used in the conversion and production of electrical insulation components which include washers as the material ‘binds’ electrons, holding them still and this prevents electrical charges - in return preventing electric shocks, making it perfect for use within circuit board, wire sleeves and trunking, high voltage applications, etc.
The material these washers are made from offers chemical inertness (with the exception of elemental alkali metals, chlorine trifluoride and elemental fluorine at high temperatures and pressures), ozone, flame resistance and an extremely low coefficient of friction meaning few materials stick to it without sufficient preparation.
Benefits Of Using PTFE Plastic
- Excellent temp range -200+260°C (short-term up to 300°C)
- high resistance to many chemicals and solvents
- high dielectric properties
- low friction coefficient (create a slippery surface)
- Flame resistance
Other Types of Electrical Insulation Materials Available
Advanced Seals & Gaskets work with a multitude of material manufacturers and suppliers, giving our customers more choice of plastic sheeting - our most popular materials being:
- Epoxy Glass - A green coloured material with good mechanical strength, good chemical, electrical and radiation resistance, low moisture absorption and a working temperature range of upto +120℃.
- Kapton - is a polyamide film which offers a combination of mechanical and tear strength along with chemical, electrical and thermal properties that enables the gasket to withstand vibration and extreme temperatures in demanding environments.
- Leatheroid - is a grey/blue coloured paper gasket material, also sometimes called Elephantide. This material is used within the electrical industry to insulate hot elements.
- MICA - is a mineral based sheeting material which has excellent mechanical performances, is resistant to chemicals and provides electrical and therm insulation. MICA gaskets are often used to replace asbestos as they can withstand extremely high temperatures of up to 1000℃.
- MYLAR is an extremely strong, flexible polyester film. MYLAR is an excellent insulation material with dielectric strength, moisture resistance and is an excellent insulation material.
- Nomex can be manufactured using nomex paper or nomex board, it can withstand high temperatures, has high mechanical and dielectric strength, and is an excellent insulation material for all kinds of electrical equipment and applications.
- Presspahn is a brown coloured material, manufactured using kraft wood pulp. Presspahn sheets have excellent physical and mechanical properties, generally used as electrical insulation.
- SRBF is resin bonded fibre material which is tough and rigid, with an operating temperature of 120℃, low water absorption and is resistant to wear, impact chemicals.
- SRBP (synthetic resin bonded paper) is manufactured using layers of paper and synthetic resins. This material is suited to high and medium voltage application. SRBP has good mechanical and excellent electrical insulation properties, with low water absorption.
- Valox is an excellent electrical insulation material which also offers flame retardant properties.
- PVC is a tough, lightweight abrasion, chemical and moisture resistant material which has good dielectric strength making it a great material to use for electrical insulation applications.
Advantages Of Using PTFE Electrical Insulation Washers
PTFE Electrical Insulation washers offer users a number of advantages making it suited for use in many applications and industries. These washers offer low friction, meaning moving parts will easily slide, causing less heat and wear, this slippy non-stick material is also easy to keep clean and dirt and dust will not stick to its surface.
PTFE plastic washers are non-flammable, this is due not only to its very low friction, but also its ability to withstand very high heat and its extremely high melting point. PTFE washers offer great chemical resistance, and are extremely durable when exposed to weathering, combined with the great electrical properties it is ideal for use in most industries.
As PTFE plastic can be produced in sheet or tube form, these can be easily converted into a range of bespoke sized washers found utilised in a number of industries and applications including seals and fittings in chemical plants, food and pharmaceuticals.
Due to being non-corrosive, this material can also be used as pipes or seals, useful in laboratories where highly corrosive chemicals are handled, and also within circuit board components due to it’s electrical insulation and heat resistance properties.
Using PTFE Electrical Insulation washers within electrical devices and equipment for the purpose of electrical insulation protects them from generating and passing high voltages, reduces the cost of energy, improves performance and protects users from shock.
Please contact us using the form below or by calling us on +44(0)1384 252555.